I was so honoured to meet up with two London ladies a few weekends ago. We met at the Tower of London and had some tea and a chat at a quirky little place called ‘The Kitchen @ Tower’. Lounging in comfy chairs and sipping our herbal teas, we shared our MS journeys with each other. We chatted about the rocky, difficult times and then we talked about how fantastic we all feel on the MS diet and how it has literally changed our lives. We also shared our feelings about the future. We are all hopeful that we are going to be able to maintain a good quality of life as long as we stay committed to the MS diet way of life. It was very inspiring to see the hope in their eyes.
They are determined not to be beaten by their MS.
I was so touched at the bravery of these two remarkable women. They have both had to deal with some quite scary symptoms whilst still raising a family, working and maintaining their households. Through it all, they have maintained their positive state of mind and love for life. They both swear by the MS diet and maintaining a disciplined way of life. Some of the keys to staying well for them are:
- early to bed
- not overcommitting themselves
- steering clear of junk and processed food
- eating as much nutritious food as possible
- being organised and planning ahead
As we were walking back to the station, I had a little surprise for them. I had made these Raw Cacao & Oat Squares the day before and I thought I would take them along to the the meet-up so that I could get a bit of feedback. Well, the response I received was overwhelming. Both ladies loved them, couldn’t stop raving about them and begged me to post the recipe. I was sorry that I didn’t bring more! Next time!
These little squares really are a treat. The richness of the cacao combined with the crunchiness of the pecans and oats in the base makes for a delicious combination. What is so amazing is that they are completely raw and in a form that your body can easily absorb. These beauties are great just to keep in your fridge and pop in your mouth every time you need a little pick-me-up. They’re also super for impressing your friends at a get together!
Raw Cacao & Oat Squares
2 cups gluten-free oats
1 cup organic desiccated coconut (preservative free)
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp honey
pinch sea/Himalayan salt
1 tsp cinnamon
a little almond/rice milk/water as needed
2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 Tbsp cacao powder
3 Tbsp maple syrup (or a little more if you like it sweeter)
1 Tbsp almond butter (raw is best)
- For the base, put all the ingredients into a food processor (except the water/almond milk) and process until combined but not too finely ground. You still want a little crunch and texture.
- Add the water until it sticks together quite well but is not too wet and mushy.
- Press the mixture into a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the freezer to harden for about an hour.
- For the icing, melt the coconut oil on a very low heat and then stir in the other ingredients. It should be runny but not too watery. The consistency could be described as a ‘larva flow’ consistency. As the coconut oil cools it will get a little less runny. For a thicker layer of icing, double the icing recipe.
- Once the base has hardened, spread the icing over the top and place back into the freezer until set.
- Cut into squares and keep in the fridge until you want to serve them.
Summing it Up
We are definitely going to have more MS Diet for Women Meet-Ups. I’m planning to have one a term going forward. Connecting with other women in the same boat as us, is just so important to keep us encouraged and to help us stay on track. Battling MS on your own is difficult and is just not necessary when there are so many of us living living with the illness. If you do live in London or surrounds, please let me know so that I can add you to the mailing list for the Meet-Up. If you don’t live in London but would love to meet up with a group of positive ladies, why not email me and I can begin to connect you with women in the same city as you. Hopefully we will be able to get quite a few support groups/meet-ups up and running all over the world. So please get in contact!
Have a great week!
Love & Nutrients